Friday, July 18, 2008

Great Recipes, Minister Manto, & awesome water fights!

I know that I said I would post my new-found favourite recipe on Saturday-gone-past, but truth is I was too tired when we got back from Pretoria to do anything but vegetate on our bed and watch TV-Series.

Anyhow, right now I'm being a good housewife --> cooking food (in a steamer, as I would not be writing this blog at any other cooking time), and doing the past 2 weeks' laundry. So I thought about putting up this recipe, and here goes:

White Onion Soup and Fresh Cream Baked Mixed Veg: (WHAT A MOUTHFUL!)
Ingredients:
* 1x Packet Royco White Onion Soup
* 1x 250ml (?) Fresh Cream
* 1kg Precut/Prepared Mixed Veg (In a sealed bag)
* 100g Cheddar Cheese, Grated finely
* Tin foil to cover prepared dish with

TIP: I would suggest that you use a deep, but medium-sized (20x30cm) oven dish, instead of a big shallow dish, to ensure all the veggies are covered in the cream and soup mixture.

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius
2. Cut a 1cm corner off the sealed bag containing mixed veggies and pop into the
microwave oven for 8 - 10 minutes to steam veggies until it is soft but crunchy.
3. Heat up the cream in a small dish and add the soup mixture to the cream --> mix
thoroughly until there are now clots left. (You could also add seasoning salt and
pepper to your taste)
4. Cut open bag of veggies (Be careful with the steam escaping!) and throw it into a
smeared oven dish, spreading it evenly throughout the dish.
5. Pour cream and soup-mixture over veggies, making sure to cover ALL veggies with
some of the mixture.
6. Scatter the grated cheese over the mixed veggies-dish, ensuring that all the
top-layers of food is covered with cheese.
7. Cover entire oven dish with tin foil (shiny side outside), with no gaping holes
and sealed at all sides.
8. Place in the oven and bake for 40 - 50 minutes until all cheese are molten and
golden brown on top.

* * * * *

Minister of Health - Madam Manto Tshabalala-Msimang:
Today I was in the fortunate / unfortunate position to come face-to-face (well, more like back of head to my face) with our Minister of Health. She attended a HUGE Mental Health Awareness Campaign hosted by the Johannesburg Metro Region A clinics (one of which is Stretford Clinic where I am working currently). Anyhow, it was as I expected - she looks EXACTLY like our matron at my Clinic! They could actually have been sisters - but with the exception that I prefer spending a quiet afternoon with our matron much more that I think I would enjoy the minister's conversation. Although, I should probably not make such harsh judgments, as I have not ACTUALLY spoken to the minister and found out if she actually believes all that she is saying when giving a speech. My supervisor did however say that her speech was really good, but I do have my apprehensions about WHY her speech might have been good. See, I have this very sneaky suspicion that someone else probably wrote her speech, but that all apart. I just thought it cool that I could finally see this minister in body, although I would have appreciated it if we could have given her a relaxation therapy class - which her VIP said she would like to attend, but never did. But that's enough of that, because the food was good, the day was interesting and my friends' conversation was just plain lekker.

This brings me to my third and final point:
We had the most amazing time smashing water-balloons against a wall to de-stress. In the meantime not ALL of the balloons ended up on the wall, but some also made their way to our supervisor's car, as well as each others' feet and occasionally their heads! I had a great time with my friends, and it was good to loosen up a bit and forget about your worries or the consequences of bombing your supervisor's car with water balloons! I once again salute my friends who enjoy the funky side of life!

No comments: